From: Patrick Armstrong
, Director of Communications
713.361.7920 (Direct Line) Scott Henninger
, Communications Manager
713.361.7930 (Direct Line)
Friday, November 23, 2007
AEROS SINK THE ADMIRALS 4-1 AT TOYOTA CENTER
HOUSTON, Texas –
The Houston Aeros scored two first period goals which proved to be enough as they defeat the Milwaukee Admirals 4-1 in front of 5,878 fans at Toyota Center, Friday night. With the win the Aeros
(8-8-1-0) are within two points of a two-way tie for 5th in the West, which includes Milwaukee (9-6-1-0). Box Score
C Steve Kelly
and D Paul Albers
lead the Aeros with two points (1-1=2) each. Milwaukee’s LW Antti Pihlstrom
marked the Admiral’s only goal. Winning goalie Barry Brust
(5-5-0) stopped 16 of 17 shots on net as Milwaukee’s Pekka Rinne
(7-7-0) knocked away 17 of 21 shots in the loss.
Milwaukee was whistled for two penalties early in the first period, and Houston quickly took advantage. Center Adrian Foster
notched his fourth goal of the year in the ensuing five-on-three when he jammed in a rebound in a scrum in front of the net. He was assisted by right wing Troy Riddle
and defenseman Paul Albers
. The Aeros weren’t finished as Kelly tipped in a shot by defenseman Jon Awe
with one second remaining in the second penalty and Houston took a 2-0 lead. Right wing Petr Kalus
also assisted on the play.
Houston converted on both of their power-play opportunities in the first period and killed all three of Milwaukee’s chances. The Aeros outshot the Admirals 7-6 in the period and had a two-goal lead.
Defenseman Paul Albers
made it a 3-0 game at the 6:21 mark of the second period when Houston converted on their third power-play goal of the game, another five-on-three goal. Albers took a feed from Kelly and snapped a shot above the right shoulder of Admirals’ Rinne for his second of the season. Defenseman Brandon Rogers
also assisted on the play. The Aeros again led in shots in the period 9-5 and were 1-4 on the power-play. They killed both of the Admirals man-advantages in the second.
Milwaukee ended the Aeros shutout streak of 105:22 of game-time at 10:41 in the final session as LW Antti Pihlstrom netted the Admirals first goal of the game with RW Matt Ellison
and D Kevin Klein
on the assists. Houston took back their three-goal lead as C Marco Rosa
scored his second goal as an Aero, assisted by LW Ryan Hamilton
at 12:09 in the period, only 1:28 after Milwaukee’s goal. Houston’s D Shawn Belle
was called for the only penalty in the third period but the Aeros were able to kill it off and held the 4-1 lead for the win. Notes:
- The Aeros scored three power-play goals for the second time this season (11/10 vs. WOR).
- C Steve Kelly is on a three-game scoring streak (2-3=5)
- The Aeros two power-play goals in the first period marked the second time this season they have had two PPG in a period (11/10 vs. WOR).
- The Aeros gave up a goal at the 10:41 mark of the third period. Houston had not given up a goal in the previous four plus periods for the longest shutout sequence of the season at 105:22.
- The last time the Aeros were .500 we were 8-8-0-1 last season with a nearly identical record.The Houston Aeros Charities Toy Drive collection will take place on November 30 and December 1st and 22nd, at the Charities table, will benefit the Houston Aeros Power Playroom at Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital. Don't miss out on opportunity to help out those in need!-- HOUSTON AEROS --